Children are not “one size fits all.” Their school shouldn’t be, either.
Dr. Maria Montessori dedicated her entire life to studying how children learn. A Montessori education is based on
- scientifically validated principles of child development,
- refined by 100 years of putting those principals into practice,
- in specialized environments developed specifically for the children served.
An education at MIR is an investment in your child’s best potential.
MIR follows the principals and practices of the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI), the organization founded by Dr. Montessori to continue her work. Characteristics of an authentic AMI Montessori program include:
- Rigorously trained teachers who are thoroughly versed in child development and teach accordingly.
- Prepared environment designed specifically for the developmental stage of the child.
- Mixed-age groups in which younger children learn from older children, and older children learn leadership and responsibility as mentors to the younger.
- Freedom to choose work with appropriate guidance from the teachers. In a Montessori classroom, children actively participate in deciding what their focus of learning will be each day.
- Uninterrupted work periods of 2-3 hours to allow children to focus on their learning.
- Customized learning at the individual and group level, based on the developmental stage of the child.
“We seek to sow life in the child rather than theories, to help him in his growth, mental and emotional as well as physical, and for that we must offer grand and lofty ideas to the human mind…”—Maria Montessori