Students of all ages receive some form of physical education daily and one yoga class per week. The type and duration of physical education is determined on a program-by-program basis. Our PE program is run by Sportball and includes sports skills; health and nutrition; and cooperative, team-building games.
Yoga Instruction is offered weekly to all students. Students engage in movement, balance, stretching, and breathing activities that teach body control, discipline, and calming techniques.
MIR Running Club -- Led by Primary teacher Jean Bonner-Drinkwine and Elementary teacher Teesie Emge, the running club meets every Friday morning at 7:30 a.m. Children ages 6 and older are welcome to join, as are their parents. (Children dropped off for Running Club are not charged for childcare.) The Running Club participates in the Mt. SAC Cross Country Invitational each year.
Elementary Bike Club -- Led by Ellen Camarillo, children ages 8 and older improve their riding skills and learn road safety and bike maintenance. (Children dropped off for Bike Club are not charged for childcare.)
MIR works with local providers to offer afterschool athletics. They require additional registration and fees. The program for the 2017-18 school year is as follows:
Soccer – always on Tuesdays
Led by Coach Liam Muirhead
- Fall Session: September 26–November 14, 2017
- Winter Session: January 9–February 27, 2018
- Spring Session: March 27–April 17 or May 15, 2018
Ages and Times
- Primary, ages 4-6: 3:10-3:45 p.m.
- Elementary, ages 6+: 3:50-4:45 p.m.
Sportball – always on Thursdays
Led by Sportball
- Fall Session, Multi-sport and Flag Football: September 28–November 16, 2017
- Winter Session, Multi-sport and Basketball: January 11–March 1, 2018
- Spring Session, Multi-sport, T-ball, and Baseball: March 29–April 19 or May 17, 2018
Ages, Times, and Sports
- Primary ages 3-4-5 will always do Multi-sport: 3:05-3:45 p.m.
- Primary ages 4.5-6 will do Flag Football, Basketball, and T-ball: 3:05-3:45 p.m.
- Elementary, ages 6+ will do Flag Football, Basketball, and Baseball: 3:45-4:45 p.m.