These are answers to questions we are commonly asked about the MIR Fund.
The MIR Fund is an annual giving program that supplements MIR's budget to ensure we can provide the best education and opportunities for students now and in the future.
Your gift pays for
- Professional development for staff. Teachers, assistants, support staff all have a direct impact on your child’s education and well-being. The MIR Fund helps pay for their continued training and development.
- Campus and classroom improvements. The classrooms and campus are the prepared learning environment for your child. The MIR Fund pays for the big projects that make this among the best campuses in Redlands.
- Partial tuition assistance for MIR families experiencing unexpected financial challenges, such as the loss of a job.
Donations to the MIR Fund support our financial aid program. The aid provides partial tuition assistance to help current families in financial crisis keep their students enrolled at MIR so that children do not have to face the additional stress of a change in schools.
Tuition covers the cost of your child's education -- the great classrooms and materials, your child's teacher’s salary and benefits, and necessities such as keeping the lights on and toilets flushing. The MIR Fund pays for
- Well-prepared, highly qualified teachers;
- The best learning environment we know how to provide, indoors and out; and
- The security of knowing the school offers financial assistance if you have an unexpected need.
All of which directly benefit your child.
The MIR Fund pays for the "extras" that make this a great school for your child. Specific recent investments include (but are not limited to):
- Converting the entire north campus to solar to significantly reduce electricity costs, especially the cost of cooling five large buildings.
- Converting the entire campus to drought tolerant landscaping, which has reduced MIR’s water usage by 10,000 gallons a day (not a typo).
- Building the new Student Services Center to serve more students in the program, more effectively.
Use of the MIR Fund for these investments means more of your tuition money is directly spent on your child's education.
For the 2017-18 school year, our goal is to raise $150,000 this year from families, friends, alumni, staff, and the Board through direct donations to the MIR Fund and through donations to the Spring Gala & Auction and bids on items at the auction.
Asking for voluntary donations lets people give according to their ability, and donations may be tax deductible. Tuition doesn’t have that benefit. This lets us keep tuition lower overall.
No. Your donation is a greatly appreciated voluntary gift.
Donate or pledge online or fill out a pledge form during our Done in 31 Campaign in October. Please do not make a donation through the BillPay system. All payments made through BillPay are processed as tuition payments.
You may pay now, pledge now and pay later, or set up monthly payments.
- Pay now.
- Pledge now and pay later (pledges must be paid by June 30, 2018).
- Set up monthly payments. Contact Jill Huff in the office to set up recurring payments.
Pledges must be paid by June 30 of the giving year.
Organizations awarding grants look at MIR Fund participation as an indicator of the school's strength and long-term viability. MIR has achieved 100% or very close to 100% participation in since 2012-13. This has helped us win grants totaling $180,000 that have been used to
- Complete construction of the Student Services Center.
- Buy adaptive technologies for students in our Student Services program.
- Arrange for additional professional development for MIR's Student Services Team.
The MIR Fund is used for current year expenditures and for that reason we ask that you consider unrestricted gifts of cash or securities. Monetary donations also strengthen our efforts in seeking grant funding.
MIR is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization governed by a Board of Trustees. Each year the Head of School and the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) work with the Finance Committee to prepare an annual budget for the Board of Trustees to review and approve. The Finance Committee works with the CFO throughout the year to ensure that income and expenses are keeping within the approved budget. Contact the office for more details.