Montessori, the Method
Dr. Maria Montessori studied children in all conditions throughout the world and discovered universal principles underlying their development:
- Children have a natural desire and drive to learn.
- Children absorb all aspects of their culture and civilization without effort or fatigue.
- If given the freedom to explore and make choices, children are self-motivated to learn.
- This desire to learn through self-discovery will continue throughout their lifetime if nurtured.
Her research and work with children grew into what is called the "Montessori method." The Montessori method applies the child's natural developmental stages as the framework for their education.
- Read the scientific research that validates the Montessori method.
- Find more Montessori resources for parents regarding Montessori education and Montessori parenting support.
- Learn what distinguishes an authentic Montessori school from one that is Montessori in name only.